Whittlesey House Preservation Foundation
The Whittlesey House Preservation Foundation is a separate non-profit, dedicated to restoring our historic house. Over the years there have been many benefactors who have made significant contributions to our community by donating their money, their professional expertise, their time, and construction materials in order to maintain and repair our clubhouse.
Loose Ends: The inside of the stone wall at the lower porch. We chopped up this plaster finish badly in order to provide access to do the repairs. This must be patched. We need warmer weather so it will be done in the springtime. The Gap: The replacement posts sit on the new concrete columns. Between the two is a steel lift/plate that is approximately 1" thick. This is a code requirement, intended to preclude the post from wicking moisture from the concrete which, over time, could rot the post. It looks ugly. We will hide the gap with an appropriate cover material. The concrete column tops: The yellow concrete form looks pretty ugly. It will be removed in the exposed locations. Of course then we will have an exposed concrete column projecting through the top of the wall. The amount of column exposed depends on the location on the wall. The tops of the columns are all at the same elevation, something that cannot be said about the top of the wall. This will be finished with an appropriate cover material.
Loose Ends: Finished, but not quite. This project spawned some additional work, future projects. Some of those projects must be done soon, some can, or must wat a little while. Painting: We added Fascia in a few places because we thickened the roof to accommodate the insulation we added to the roof top. The back side of that fascia, where it is exposed below the roof edge, must be primed then, the fascia must be painted. It will be dark brown. We also replaced several windows with new ones constructed to match the existing ones. These wood windows need to be primed and painted. Will be done when the weather warms. Staining: We replaced the lower deck board at the entire perimeter. In addition we replaced damaged decking throughout the building. Looking up from below while on the porch or the front room one sees new white boards among the brown stained boards. These will be stained to match. The ones that are outside must wait till the weather warms. Siding: We removed substantial portions of siding around the roof areas of the upper story. This would be siding on the South side of the board room and the South and East side of the new office area. These areas are not visible from the ground, they are above the bar area. After insulating, we sheathed the walls with plywood then added proper flashings prior to roofing. We need to add finished siding to these areas then paint the siding. The log siding we removed was deteriorated to the point that it was not re-useable. Because replacement log siding is precious and because this area is not visible, we will use standard siding. We did remove and replace the siding facing north on the card-room. This siding is visible. It was replaced with new log siding. Sealing at the fireplace chiminey: Properly flashing a stone chiminey is difficult, this chiminey was never properly flashed. Flashing a basalt (lava) stone chiminey is virtually impossible after it has been constructed. We installed flashings then foamed the area between the flashing and the rough stone chiminey. This is a temporary seal but, when the weather warms we will need to seal over this foam, from the stone to the flashing with an elastomeric coating. Porch foundations: When we removed the old office to restore the front porch we discovered how bad the foundation problem was on the foundations supporting the porch above the lower porch at the rear patio really was. The porch had actuall dropped about 8". This needs immediate attention. This is now a separate project. Porch floor at the restored porch area: The front porch was re-floored in the 1940's at the time the NW corner of the porch was enclosed. The floor of the enclosed area was levelled (the porch was built with a drainage slope) then re-floored at a higher elevation. That levelling and raising was removed but, we now need to extend the existing porch finish through this area by adding a layer of softwood flooring. This is a separate project that will be completed this spring (We hope). Front Room: The front room ceiling, failing horse-hair plaster, was installed in the 1940's. It hid the original character of the front room. The historic survey, completed in 1995, calls for the removal of this ceiling and the restoration of the original character of the front room. Now that the ceiling is insulated we can do this. This will be done as a separate project. Evaporative Coolers: The coolers were removed to accommodate the re-roof project. All 3 of the coolers were past their life-expectancy, they were rusting hulks. Those coolers were thrown away. New ones will be installed. The front-room cooler, installed on the North facing gable end, was visible from Gold street. When re-installed it will be on the South gable, sitting on the newly re-constructed roof on the South side. This will be far less visible, hidden by the trees in the park and residence to our South. This will be done as a separate project this spring.
The Fire Marshal told us we could not regain our assembly occupancy, thus allowing more than 49 people in the building at once, unless and until we installed a commercial fire alarm. This required engineering, permits, and hardware installation. The new hardware is pictured and described below.